Welcome to Tibenham Community Hall


As all small organisations tibenham Community Hall has to comply with the new GDPR legislation. We will only ask you for contact details, either e-mail or telephone number if you wish to recieve e-mails for events, or if you join a class. These details will be held securely and will only be iused by us to contact you in relation to those classes or events at the Hall for the purpose of keeping you informed and whether the event/ class has had to be cancelled/ changed.

These details will not be passed on to any third party. You can have your details removed at any time by contacting a member of the Management Committee, or your class leader.

For 2020:   We have a new programme of events to suit all the family, details are on the events calender and upcoming events are shgown on this page, Highlights are:

Barn Dance 


THE TIBENHAM CAFE runs on the last Saturday of the month 11.00 - 2.00 Lights lunches and refreshments. Stall, Book sale and 100 club draw

Tackling Rural isolation, the fourth event in the series started in 2017 to help make the village more sustainable, will be held on Thursday 19th. March, details to completed.

The Big Challenge is the replacement of the playground equipment at the Village hall, a group has been st up following the second consutation on play held at the end of last year. We need to fund raise and obtain grant funding to a possible total of £50,000. to date £10,00 has been raised from Donations and Grants, we are awaiting results from other grant funders. The old equipment was removed in December 2019 as it was becoming dangerous, and new fencing was installed along the Southern Boundary of the field to make the field safer.

Tibenham Community Hall

Tibenham is a small village situated in rural South Norfolk, approximately 7 miles from Diss. The building of the new Community Hall was made possible by grants from the National Lottery's Community Fund, South Norfolk District Council, Tibenham Parish Council, the Norfolk Association of Village Halls and from the waste recycling group Wren, along with many local fundraising efforts.

Tibenham Community Hall opened in July 2003 and has since become a hub for village activities. A wide range of local groups and classes meet regularly in the hall and it is a popular venue for local events and celebrations with its well equipped kitchen and meeting rooms and large car park.

The Full address of the Hall is Tibenham Community Hall, Pristow Green Lane, Tibenham, NR16 1PX, a map is available lower down this page, from which you can get directions to the Hall.

The Committee has set out to provide more daytime activities as part of building up the social contact for people at home. Why not join us as at something that appeals to you and share your company with others. The Hall has set out to be a Hub of Well Being activities to help make the village a more sustainable place to live. The programme aims to help fight Rural Lonliness and Isolation

What we do at the Hall

The Tibenham Cafe, held on the last Saturday of the month 11.00 - 2.00 is an opportunity to come and meet friends, have a light lunch with regular "specials", and sit and chat over those things we share.

We have a small book stall, some craft  stalls, often plants and anyone can have a stall for £3 , the proceeds the stalls goes to the owner,but the charge of the stall goes to the Hall.

We also have our 100 club draw for cash prizes. Would you like to help support the Hall and win cash prizes of £5, £10 or £25 every month, plus a quarterly jackpot prize of £75.  Why not become a member of the 100 club and help us maintain and run the hall for the Community at the same time.

But the main objective of the Tibenham Cafe is to provide some social contact for everyone to get to know others in the village and around, held usually on the last weekend in the month, with the exceptions of December and August.

As part of our objective to provide more social contact especially for those at home during the day and evening, we also provide other daytime and evening activities.

The Luncheon Club is monthly on the second Monday of the month at 1pm, this requires pre-booking.

Short Mat bowls is held every Wednesday 2pm – 4pm in the Hall. Beginners welcome as we can advise on the game. Another very sociable afternoon.

Badminton is held on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 5:30 – 7:30. Beginners welcome

A Craft Club meets on 1st. and 3rd. Monday of the month 10.00 - 12.00, all welcome, and on the fourth Monday evening 6.30 - 8.30pm

A History Group meets on the third Wednesday of the month, at 7.30p.m.

We also run a series of events throughout the year to provide opportunities to meet and mix with people from the village and the area around. Everyone is welcome to join us for some socialising. Check on the events calender for our programme for the current year. See the events Calendar and Events page for more details.



TIBENHAM CARING is an ongoing project to look at how we can make the village more sustainable for people.

The first event was called  " Think Carers", and was on Thursday March 23 2017. Representatives from Norfolk Carers, The South Norfolk NHS Clinical Commissioning Group, Health and Wellbeing, Mental Health, Social Care, Harleston Information Plus, the Early Help HUB Lng Stratton, Voluntary Norfolk, and others, are all came to discuss how we, in these rural communities can do more to help ourselves and each other.

This was our chance to network with agencies offering help and information that we can share with friends and neighbours. Have your say about issues that concern you relating to health and wellbeing within Tibenham and the local area.

This succesful event provided much information and identified support for many people who attended. This was continued with the second event in 2018.

We arranged a series of Well Being sessions with support from Norfolk County Council, starting 16 November and for the next five weeks on a Thursday, and continuing after Christmas until Easter. A chance to help build your Physical and mental resiliance. refreshments provided.

The second event, based on "The Five Ways of Well Being" was held on 22 March 2018. A series of meeting facilitated by a Norfolk County Council development worker started in Novemnber 2018 and finished with the event on 22 March.  This session concentarted on the people and how we can improve our lives. Once again representatives from the NHS, the voluntary sector and suppliers all attended and help make this a successful event.

Arising from this we were able to start a "Light exercise Class" led by a professional trainer started in March 2018 and is held weekly on a Tuesday morning at 10.00 at the Hall, and to date 36 people of all ages and genders have signed up. Everyone is welcome. We also started a "Drop-in Cafe" on a Thrsday afternoon on the first and third Thursdays at 10.30-12.30

We held our third event on Thursday 21 March 2019, this time concentrating on Rural isolation, and concentrating on connectivity through internet, phones etc. and learning as a way of improving our well being.

A grant has been obtained fro a scheme of Digital Buddies to help people learn to use their phoines and tablets to improve their skills and communications.

On March 19th. 2020 we are holding the fourth event in this series based on Well Being, the programme is currently being arranged, but clearly with the potential intoduction of Super fast Broadband in 2020 in Tibenham this will feature in this event. 


















The following document describes a walk around the village pointing out places of interest  as an introduction to the Village






The Tibenham skyline is dominated by the Norman flintwork church tower and around the Church is a cluster of buildings from different eras.


Standing proud is the red brick Victorian Vicarage with the date of 1880 carved over the door and built for the late Reverend T W Thompson, but now privately owned. It was sold by auction after the last Vicar resident at Tibenham, Reverend Richardson, resigned in 1977. From the Old Vicarage windows, you can see the lovely Tudor twisted chimney pots of Church Farm, until last year a working farm.


In the shadow of the Church, with gardens adjacent to the churchyard, were the humbler cottages. Only two stand now, but once there was a row of five. The nearest cottage to the church gate was a harness maker's cottage and workshop.


Hidden behind the Church is Hastings Hall. This building, set in a lovely garden with a stream has had a chequered history. It was once owned by the Bishop of Bury St Edmunds, then by Lord Hastings, Earl of Pembroke who, when he died, had his lands seized both in Tibenham and Winfarthing by his debtors. Since then it has been used as a workhouse and in 1959 was still let as three cottages. Having then stood empty for a decade, Hastings Hall has now been beautifully restored.

Lime trees surround the churchyard and Limes Farm, the Georgian house opposite, has probably taken its name from them. The adjoining barns around a courtyard have been sold and sympathetically converted into a house. Still adjoining the churchyard is the Old Parish Schoolroom, another listed building neglected for years and now converted, still proudly displays its date of 1831. Adjacent is the row of almshouses, now completely restored. In 1848 the row contained rooms for six parishioners, today there is comfortable accommodation for three.

The Street, as it is now known, was originally called Churchgate Street and, in living memory, had two shops. The old shopfront is still visible at Railtons, and was referred to as Tommy English’s shop (probably trading from 1925 to 1959 or 1960). The Post Office Stores closed in 1994 after 150 years of trading, although the building, which is partly thatched, is much older and is also a listed building. First recorded repairs to the Old Post Office were in 1725 and in 1766 it was rethatched at a cost of 18s.2d. by Trudgill and the cost of straw was £1.11.6d. (This year the ridge has been renewed but sadly not at that price!)

Things were different at the beginning of the 19th Century. Old Rate Books, which have hopefully survived the fire whilst in storage at Norwich Record Office, give details of eleven shops in 1836. They ranged from the normal grocers and general stores, to drapers, tailors, boot and glove makers and repairers, a pork butcher, miller, baker, two blacksmiths, a wheelwright, a saddler and a coal dealer. There were also two beer shops, as well as two pubs. The Boot on the Long Row is now a house, and The Greyhound on The Street is still trading, with a fine selection of ales.

On the corner, next to the Old Post Office, is the Old Chapel, now a comfortable home, but used for worship for 120 years. In December 1848 Miss Mary Pretty sold part of her garden of her house, the Wheelwright's Cottage, to the Trustees of the Wesleyan and Primitive Methodists. Her father is laid to rest in the large tomb with railings, which can still be seen. The inscribed headstone has the date engraved and a quote from Matthew ch21 v13 – "My house shall be called the house of prayer".

Across the road from the Wheelwright's Cottage, was a tumbledown, neglected old building, which was once a hive of activity as the blacksmith’s forge and workshop. This has now been rebuilt. Over The Beck there is a row of cottages purpose-built for the farmworkers of Hill Farm, with the larger one for the farmer's son backing on to a field called Blacksmith Meadow. Thomas Turner bought the land from Edward Wiseman Betts in 1829 and the cottages had been built by 1842. The original name for the road was Hall Gate Way.

Past Hill Farm, and still visible from the road, are some runways built during the second World War, and used by the 445th Bomb Group of the USAF, but now used for the peaceful leisure activity of Gliding. It is the Headquarters of Norfolk Gliding Club.

In a corner of a field belonging to Hill Farm, and visible from the road is an old underground bunker, and the oak tree near has metal climbing rungs and a metal guard rail where the trunk splits. Many American airmen must remember days and nights guarding the airfield from this spot.

Back in The Street and past The Greyhound, tucked away in what was once in the garden of the White House, is an old timber hall, called the Gospel Hut. Two sisters of a Vicar lived in the White House, and the story goes that his sermons were not forceful enough with no blood and thunder, so his sisters had their own Mission hut built for their own services. In living memory, Mrs Dora Rout, sister of Elijah Lambert, farmer, continued the practise with visiting preachers and an organist playing the harmonium, until the early 1990s and during earlier decades had a thriving Sunday School with the traditional Anniversary Services.

The National School was next door, where four modern houses have been built. Blomefield's History of Norfolk tells us "A handsome board school and teachers residence was erected in 1876 with accommodation for 127" at a cost of £1110 with Mr Henry Beswick as Head Teacher. By 1896, 140 children were on the register, but at its close in the 1980s there were only a dozen or so children, who were transferred to Aslacton School whose building and facilities were more modern.

Towards the Long Row is Priory Farm and as its name suggests was the site of an old priory circled by trees. Old documents refer to a wood adjoining as Abbots Wood another interesting fact is the original name for what we know as Pristow Green Lane was once called Priesthorpe Way or Priesthorpe Green. Another legend is that Sir Robert Buxton of Channonz Hall had houses built on this road for his three daughters. These could possibly be the two thatched farmhouses now called Walnut Tree Farm and possibly Appleshaw Farmhouse.

The name of Long Row is self-explicit, but another anecdote I recall of the Buxton family having used the road for pleasure of the younger men racing their gigs, carriages or even Phaetons along it. I presume many of the older houses on the Long Row were built after 1815 or renamed then. Four remind us of Wellington’s victory over Napoleon and his final defeat at the Battle of Waterloo on 18 June 1815. My knowledge of the west-end of the village is limited, you pass the old farmhouses of Dyson’s and Tibenham, and further along is the old blacksmiths forge and the Old Boot, once a public house.

On the 1822 Parish Map Cherry Tree road is unnamed, probably just known as the West End, like the farm. The narrow Low Road was called Nethergate Way. Yew Tree Farm, another large house that started out as a small cottage with one room upstairs and one room downstairs. This was constructed like so many others with oak beams from the surrounding forest trees with clay dug from the pits on the land, held in place by ash wattles between oak studs making the walls. The roof would have been thatched with straw, as Norfolk reed was only used close to the Norfolk Broads. But to this small house a three storey building was attached , probably added during the reign of Henry VI, with high gables and carved barge boards with Flemish influence.

On the road towards Diss, once called Pilsgate Street (I wonder why?) can be seen the lovely Elizabethan chimneys of Low Farm and Manor Farmhouse, once also thatched, and Manor Farm. Bloomfield's History of Norfolk says "The Laudes Manor was owned by Richard Leming who forfeited it for rebelling against Henry III in 1264". Later it was owned by John Fisher Gurling, who was a miller. Further along the road (Mill Way now Mill Road) there was a windmill and an adjoining house. I remember the Brown family, Albert, a bellringer, and Edith his wife, who died aged 93. She recalled many stories, one being her mother bringing her to the Mill when she was a child, to buy flour. The Lant family ran a business in 1836 called "The Bake Office", and gravestones in the churchyard recall six of their children dying before their twentieth birthdays. Mrs. Brown also recalled the story, which Blomefield's History confirms, of William Lynster's daughter who married against his wishes, but was never forgiven, and on his death left everything to the Church Overseer to distribute to the poor.

So, back to All Saints' Church, as we have now completed our stroll around Tibenham, but perhaps on second thoughts it should have been called a cycle ride around Tibenham as we have covered nearly ten miles!

(c) Irene Wilson 1999 with minor updating by David Timson 2015






Upcoming Events
Tibenham Cafe
Our regular monthly cafe, join us for lunch and and chat, stalls, book sale and 100 club draw
Tibenham Cafe
Our regular monthly cafe, join us for lunch and and chat, stalls, book sale and 100 club draw
craft club
craft club
craft club